Being aware of how students view their campus safety experiences can help institutional leaders create safer campuses. It can also help them create a culture where students feel they can turn to those charged with keeping them safe, even those who enter college with a distrust in police officers. Six campus safety approaches and actions to consider, based on the results of a Student Voice survey conducted by Inside Higher Ed and College Pulse with support from Kaplan, include…
- Be transparent about data and policy
- Help make the area around campus safer
- Cultivate relationships between campus security and students
- Add visible security and more visibility to campus walkways
- Ensure a connection between campus safety and mental health awareness
- Work to minimize instances of students harming one another
Read more here.