Address ADA Concerns in Light of COVID-19/Pandemic Requirements to Ensure Compliance
As applied learning becomes a core part of most curriculums, remaining ADA compliant has become more challenging for both the institution and practicum locations. One of the biggest challenges will be enforcement of and compliance with vaccine requirements and mask mandates imposed by both colleges and internship/clinical sites.
Sites must understand and comply with federal ADA rules and regulations. And internship and practicum coordinators as well as students should understand their individual responsibilities when it comes to requesting and complying with ADA accommodations.
Our legal expert examines the accommodation process from start to finish to create a seamless transition for students with disabilities fulfilling their internship or practicum requirements. He provides strategies for successful compliance for institutions, partners, and students. In addition, he sheds insight into the pandemic impact on in-person versus remote internship experiences and the impact that may have on the accommodation process.
Meet the diverse educational accommodation needs of your students by partnering with sites to ensure compliance for both online and in-person learning — avoid lawsuits, student complaints and negative ramifications.
As a result of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Establish clear policies to overcome the challenge of enforcement of and compliance with vaccine requirements and mask mandates – ensure your students are following policy expectations for your institution and with their internship/clinical sites.
- Understand the process to determine reasonable accommodations for your students participating in an internship or practicum experience to adequately meet valid requests – support their academic goals, increase retention, and foster persistence.
- Proactively identify accommodation needs and clearly communicate with both the student with disabilities and applied learning sites – avoid preventable complications BEFORE students begin their internship or practicum.
- Support diverse learners in their academic pursuits and skill development – avoid lawsuits, reasonable accommodations confusion and non-compliance complications.
- Provide an integrated and innovative environment that supports student accommodation needs in specific settings – incorporate strategies for working with partners to ensure compliance, a positive learning experience, and that the educational and accommodation needs of your students are met.
Seth F. Gilbertson is an Associate Counsel for the State University of New York’s Office of University Counsel.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email firstname.lastname@example.org.