The health of a community depends on the quality of relationships among its members. And that's why community building on campus is so very important.
We strive to build community within many campus pockets: in the residence halls, among students doing community service, within our student organizations, among commuter students, during retreats... after all, strong communities contribute to strong institutions!
Yet, it's not always easy to build this important sense of community. Time gets crunched, technology keeps people to themselves and ideas don't always flow. That's why we've put together the Big Book of Community Builders Binder. When you and your staff are looking for possibilities to fit your particular communities, we've got you more than covered.
Who Can Use This Binder:
You can use the Big Book of Community Builders with multiple campus groups, such as:
- Residence hall communities
- Students embarking on a service trip together
- Support staff and work-study students
- Training committees
- Commuter students
- Student organizations/clubs/teams
- Orientation groups
- First-year experience classes
- Retreat participants
- Student leaders
- Marries and family housing students
- Greek communities
- Study abroad participants
- Student staff members
- And many more!
Inside this binder, you'll find over 100 pages of ideas, including:
Starter Sheets. Members of strong communities discuss issues and learn together. Yet the student staffers leading these efforts often don't know where to begin! Each of these 1-to-2 page Starter Sheets offers background, statistics, discussion questions and more on various community-oriented topics, such as:
- Bystander intervention
- Helping fellow community members in distress
- Risk management
- Community responsibilities
- Not getting sucked into a technological hole
- Alcohol and other drugs
- The art of compromise!
Using these Starter Sheets, leaders can initiate engaging, educational, eye-opening conversations on important topics in students' lives.
Community Connections. There are so many lessons we can learn from community hubs that do many things right, like:
- Book clubs
- Parent/teacher organizations
- Churches, temples and beyond
So, we've dug up some great programs out there that can easily be adapted to fit your own community!
Activities Galore! Then, of course, we offer a wide variety of community-building activities that can be adapted to various audiences, whether you're holding a leadership retreat, gathering commuter students for a meeting or engaging students in the residence halls. These activities address community issues in fun, meaningful ways, with topics including:
- Career readiness
- Giving back
- Effective listening
- Handling anger
- Human rights
- Critical thinking
- Accepting change
- A sense of belonging and place
Just for Fun. And then we've got some suggestions that are just about pure, unadulterated fun! They include twists on favorites such as:
- And more!
Community Posters & Postables. As a bonus, you'll receive 10 reproducible community-oriented posters that can be used on bulletin boards, as handouts or to brighten up your community. They'll serve to educate and inspire as you passively build community.
When a student leader is stumped on how to effectively build community, the Big Book of Community Builders serves as the ultimate campus resource!
Use this binder to:
- Build communities among student groups, from residence halls to classes to student organizations.
- Help student staffers when they're stumped for ideas.
- Increase the quality of relationships among group members.
- Engage students in meaningful discussions and activities.
- Replicate quality programs being sponsored by other community agencies.
- Break down barriers.
Plus, your purchase includes a site license to share with your staff and campus community – perfect for your remote training initiatives!
Two Versions to Choose From
Printed with Digital Download – includes a printed copy of this resource as well as digital access to the enclosed materials and accompanying license to share with your campus community.
Price includes $9 shipping fee.
- Digital Download Only – includes digital access to this resource and accompanying license to share with your campus community.
Upon purchase, the instructions for downloading this resource will be immediately available. For questions, email email@example.com.