Assess Your Resources & Develop Innovative Strategies
Lack of knowledge and lack of readily available information plague most Native recruitment program start-ups. Many of the existing resources for higher education assume a starting place far past where most institutions begin this work. Additionally, most institutions compete for the same, small, national pool of highly qualified Native candidates...leaving thousands of potential Native college students untouched. The opportunity to develop institution-specific, customized Indigenous pipelines is significant. All colleges and universities have a Native “backyard” in some way – figuring out how to meaningfully connect with the Native American communities in proximity to campus and those with relationships to the university will be your key to success.
Our expert presenter — Rachel Fried, a Partner with the College Access Strategies/Public School Initiative — offers crucial, actionable takeaways on how to understand the landscape of modern Native America and the many factors that distinguish Native students from other underrepresented populations, so you are aware of key points to consider when training staff on working with U.S.-based Indigenous communities.
This webinar is designed as a starting point for institutions NEW to Native American recruitment, including ways to set up initiatives for success and how to generate institutional buy-in, etc.
As a result of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Assess institutional Native-serving/Native-resonating resources and your internal capacity on enrollment management teams — develop a strategic plan to prepare your staff and appropriately engage with community partners so you don’t build your program on an uphill battle slope.
- Develop innovative strategies that embed Indigenous recruitment within existing structures — leverage campus-based Indigenous-friendly resources as a mechanism to accrue more.
- Provide effective training on the distinct barriers Native students face as a critical starting point for developing an effective recruitment strategy — gain a real understanding of modern Native American students, families, schools and communities, as well as common misconceptions, so your well-intentioned staff does not accidentally offend or misinterpret when thrown into Native American recruitment.
- Stop struggling to figure out where to begin in designing an institutional Indigenous strategy — broaden the lens of indigeneity on your campus so you can develop Native-resonating messaging.
- Understand cornerstones of high-functioning Native recruitment programs, especially at schools with small Native populations — be able to develop institution-specific pipeline partnerships and ways to quickly grow staff capacity around Native recruitment so it can effectively be infused throughout your work.
- Understand common pitfalls in new Native program development and how to avoid them — be able to study examples of unique and creative Native recruitment initiatives so you don’t have to reinvent the wheel.
Rachel Fried is a Partner with College Access Strategies/Public School Initiative.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email firstname.lastname@example.org.