Comprehend Current Compliance Standards and Explore Impending Developments To Adapt On Your Campus
Although colleges have been subject to FERPA for nearly 50 years, and although few if any statutes have such wide-reaching, everyday application on our campuses, most of us still don't know much about it. As a result, violations abound.
Everyone on campus who deals with any kind of student records — whether academic or not, formal or informal, permanent or temporary, paper or electronic, centrally or locally stored, and even including email — should have a grounding in FERPA. Making assumptions about its scope and provisions can lead to mistakes, non-compliance, and legal complaints.
FERPA expert, Steve McDonald, shares his insight into FERPA and its complexities. You’ll find practical steps and solutions and ensure you understand the rules and how to implement them correctly at your institution.
Get crucial, actionable takeaways that will help you:
- Recognize what is and what isn’t subject to FERPA — train everyone on campus who deals with any kind of student records properly and alleviate a FERPA violation.
- Apply key disclosure exceptions — know when and how to disclose to avoid compliance problems.
- Identify and understand FERPA’s “forgotten” parts — students’ rights to “inspect and review” and “seek amendment of” the records that pertain to them.
- Incorporate new ideas and practical steps to adapt and enhance your campus FERPA compliance — comprehend current FERPA compliance standards and learn about impending developments to adapt on your campus.
Steven J. McDonald is the recently retired General Counsel at Rhode Island School of Design and previously served as Associate Legal Counsel at The Ohio State University. He is the editor of The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act: A Legal Compendium; the author of articles on FERPA for the Chronicle of Higher Education, Inside Higher Education, and other publications; and a frequent speaker on FERPA.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email email@example.com.