Assess Case Law & Current Trends to Protect Your Institution & Students
National unrest has led many students and campuses to question the purpose of Fraternity/Sorority Life in higher education. With a history of racism, sexism, classism, and mental and physical abuse, there are inherent risk management issues facing both organizations and institutions — leaving many to question their value. Headlines paint a bleak picture for the current legal landscape of Greek Life and the collateral impact that current litigation is having on chapter, national and campus operations.
Our expert presenter — Attorney and former national men’s fraternity CEO David Westol — outlines a number of current cases and how critical issues are impacting the future of fraternal organizations. Having served as an expert witness in over 20 cases involving national fraternities and sororities, conducted 300 hazing investigations, and overseen 151 membership reviews, he uses a variety of current and past cases to help your institution proactively address these issues and their after-effects on your campus community.
As a result of this online training, participants will be able to:
- Identify the current legal landscape for Greek organizations – understand the after-effects of current legal case outcomes, civil lawsuits, and the impact of the cases upon state law and university requirements.
- Gain a clear and practical understanding of actions to avoid as well as actions to take within your sphere of responsibility and duties – ensure institutional expectations and organizational risk management and health and safety policies are followed to help avoid negative headlines, tragedy, and potential lengthy and costly lawsuits.
- Articulate a plan to address the critical need for harm reduction and hazing prevention – foster a collaborative campus-wide approach to protect ALL students and visiting guests – minimize risk and institutional liability and ensure student safety and success at your institution.
- Distinguish the difference between First Amendment protections and organizational/personal rights using previous and current case law – address free speech challenges appropriately and legally to minimize the negative impact to your institution’s reputation and impact on alumni donations and institutional support, while also improving the future of your fraternal community.
- Challenge and involve critical stakeholders (alumni, national organizations, concerned parents, athletic directors/coaches, current members) to solve the issues surrounding the current increase in hazing laws and felony status to certain hazing practices – create an individualized action plan that holds students accountable, gains buy-in from general membership, and supports inclusive membership and positive – and safe – fraternal experiences.
- Determine a solid vision for the future – utilize forward-thinking strategies and innovative approaches to remove obstacles to change and build a solid foundation to support the growth and viability of your Greek community.
David Westol is currently the Principal and Owner of Limberlost Consulting, Inc. in Carmel, Indiana, and former Chief Executive Officer of Theta Chi Fraternity.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email email@example.com.
for participation in
a PaperClip Communications webinar held on