Create a Program to Educate & Train Faculty and Staff to Engage, Retain and Graduate Military-Affiliated Students
Green Zone is a comprehensive training program for faculty, staff and students who wish to learn more about the military-affiliated student experience. By learning more about the issues and concerns faced by military-affiliated students, your campus can better meet their needs, engage them in the campus community, and help them persist through to graduation.
Our two expert presenters share the template for building a Green Zone program on your campus. This program has moved their campus beyond talking the talk to walking the talk. They are meeting the unique academic, social and career goals of their veterans and military-affiliated students — and so can you.
Foster an understanding and appreciation of the unique challenges faced by military-affiliated students and equip your frontline faculty and staff with this essential training. Increase buy-in from key campus partners to help promote and host Green Zone training regularly, so that you can establish an inclusive atmosphere that successfully transitions military-affiliated students to your campus and supports their academic and personal goals as they persist toward graduation.
As a result of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Understand how Green Zone training will help those who work with student veterans and their families recognize the diverse and unique challenges they face — reduce barriers to their success and the pursuit of their educational goals.
- Identify the key components and structure for each phase of the Green Zone training program — ensure you are building a successful and effective training program from the ground up.
- Utilize the step-by-step “train the trainer” approach to develop or enhance a Green Zone training program on your campus — understand what pertinent topics and associated academic references are necessary to support the concepts and program design.
- Achieve buy-in from campus partners to offer and promote Green Zone training campus-wide — establish an inclusive atmosphere that successfully transitions veterans to your campus, enables them to adapt to the academic environment, engage in the campus community and persist through to graduation.
- Equip those frontline faculty and staff members who interface with veteran students regularly with the Green Zone training they need to understand and embrace the military culture — ensure tailored, culturally-competent academic advising, career services and campus counseling to support military-affiliated students without perpetuating stigmas or stereotypes.
Melanie Nelson currently serves as a Military Student Services Specialist at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington (UNCW) in the Office of Military Affairs. She began her professional career as a Surface Warfare Officer in the United States Navy.
Click here for full bio.
Joanna DeMott is currently the Military Liaison and Program Coordinator at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington (UNCW) in the Office of Military Affairs.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email firstname.lastname@example.org.