Civil and Respectful Communication, Discourse & Debate
Today’s campus is a breeding ground of heated discussions. From political discussions to race relations, social equality and social justice — the topics are important and serious and the feelings run deep. Isn’t this great? Isn’t this why the institution was built? As a place to exchange ideas, challenge norms and stretch convention? But invective language, venomous barbs and hateful tones have disturbed civil communication, discourse and debate on our campuses.
Take back the civil discourse on your campus. Return heated rhetoric to informed discussions. Avoid letting heated discussions turn into a campus controversy. Change the campus dynamic and inform the conversation. Informed Discussions allows you to educate faculty in how to participate in civil communication, discourse and debate.
Informed Discussions: A Faculty Guide is an 8-page, full-color brochure offering targeted techniques campus instructors can use to embrace difficult discussions as learning moments while maintaining an expectation of civility.
Plus, this brochure can be customized with your school's logo and campus-specific information!
- Role modeling appropriate engagement
- Agreeing to disagree
- Microaggressions and marginalized groups
- Handling inappropriate comments
- Elements of an inclusive classroom
- The importance of self-work
- Facilitating difficult conversations in the classroom
- Challenging students to address questions of social justice and equity
- Engaging students who are resistant
- Managing classroom dynamics
- Maintaining a safe and secure community
Guides for Students and Staff are also available!
Click here to learn more about the Brochure for Students.
Click here to learn more about the Staff Guide.
Post to Your School’s Website with a Digital License
A Digital License allows you to post a digital PDF of the brochure on your school’s website and distribute electronically to members of your campus community. Choose the format that works best for you — printed copies, a digital license, or get both for the best value!
Customize with Your Campus-Specific Information
When you order the customized version of this brochure, we will add your school or department logo to the front cover and your institution’s name and website to the footer throughout. Plus, fully customize the entire back page with your campus-specific information, such as:
- Contact information for key offices or departments
- Important policies or mission statements
- Support services available at your institution
- On- and off-campus contacts for students or staff in need
- Your department/institutional webpage and resource links
Instructions for submitting your custom content can be found here. A PaperClip Communications team member will contact you upon purchase to assist you with your custom materials. For questions, email email@example.com.