Balance Legal Requirements, Behavior Threats and Campus Policy
Counseling students in crisis, as well as their families, about options and procedures for leaving campus and returning after a specified amount of time can be difficult conversations.
Having the right policies and clarity about the legal authority for your institution’s position is critical. It is important to feel confident explaining the institution’s policies, and the various ways a departure or a return can play out. Knowing more about the legal context and the principles driving the college’s policies can aid the conversation, and help the family and student absorb the difficult message.
Join our campus legal expert, Hannah Ross (Middlebury College, VT), as she provides practical advice on what you can do to address safety concerns while ensuring compliance with the law. You will examine the relevant guidance and case studies from real cases that will help to support the hard decisions you will inevitably have to make on your campus.
As a result of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Navigate various types of departures (leave of absence, withdrawal, disciplinary sanction) successfully based on the most up-to-date information on relevant laws, including the ADA and Section 504 – utilize strategies for how to document behavioral expectations and recommendations for treatment.
- Explore the multiple factors that may contribute to a decision on whether or not a student may be re-admitted – get the facts you need to help you make difficult decisions regarding your students’ and community members’ safety and well-being.
- Adapt various policies provided as examples or possible models – you don’t have to reinvent the wheel.
- Explore data that demonstrate the success of holistic re-admission processes, based on the experiences of colleges using these processes.
- Draft institutional policies to ensure compliance with the law, and support decision-making by administrators and behavioral intervention teams – adapt best practices to your campus in the short-term and the long-term.
Hannah Ross currently serves as the General Counsel, Chief of Staff, and Secretary to the Corporation at Middlebury College in Vermont.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email firstname.lastname@example.org.