Manage Risk & Liability During Academic & Student Organization Excursions
The risk for personal injury or liability during an off-campus excursion is one every institution strives to minimize. Institutions of higher education - large and small, public and private - struggle with creating opportunities for student engagement and at the same time, balancing liability. Faculty, staff and administrators must understand the challenges associated with academic and student organization off-campus excursions in order to accomplish educational goals while protecting the institution, the employee and the student(s). No trip is immune from a potential lawsuit.
Gather your colleagues from across campus for this online training where you will align policy with practice so you can coordinate off-campus excursions in a way that will minimize risk to your institution, you and your students. Focus on how to utilize limited resources to accomplish educational goals while developing policies and procedures that protect your institution, the employees, and the students.
Foreseeability and negligence are key concepts that should worry you with regard to off-campus local, regional and international trips, because there is no doubt that there are liabilities and risk associated with the choices you make when coordinating and managing transportation and conduct.
As a result of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Sample policies and procedures you can use that do not limit academic endeavors – train your faculty and staff about off-campus trips and liability issues to help ensure you limit exposure to risk.
- Requirements you should include in a syllabus or conduct agreement for off-campus local, regional and international excursions – you’ll learn what has saved institutions in these circumstances, and what sunk them, so you can eliminate the chance of similar pitfalls.
- Design a checklist for faculty and staff leading and advising off-campus excursions – decrease your liability while improving your faculty and staff’s ability to recognize potential issues and respond to a crisis should it arise.
- Put key risk management strategies in place for your faculty, staff and student trip leaders before they leave your campus - avoid your policies being scrutinized and the basis of a lawsuit.
- Minimize liability and prepare for problem scenarios, including medical evacuation, student death and unrest – be able to align practice with policies in terms of coordinating trips in a manner that will minimize risk, based on best practices and case law, including U.S. and international travel considerations.
- Sample travel documents and agreements that you can use with students on your campus – this will allow you to create a simple, streamlined process for your campus so educational goals can be accomplished without fear, annoyance and significant red tape.
Dr. Gregory J. (Greg) Nayor currently serves as the Senior Vice President of Strategic Initiatives at Daemen College in Amherst, NY.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email email@example.com.