Use High-Impact Practices to Shift from a "Veteran-Serving" to a "Veteran-Inclusive" Community
Is your institution meeting the unique academic, social, and career goals of your veterans and military-affiliated students?
Student veterans are uniquely positioned for academic achievement and success due to their military training, personal characteristics, work ethic and steadfast commitment — if the proper support channels are in place.
Our two seasoned presenters share how creating high-impact wrap-around programming has moved their campus beyond talking the talk to walking the walk. Learn the difference between being “veteran-friendly” to implementing “high-impact” practices that are inclusive for all students. Help your military-affiliated student overcome challenges and resistance to becoming engaged with your institution and participating in high-impact practices.
Develop comprehensive and intentional high-impact programming to help overcome barriers that could impede their success. You’ll create systemic support, increase their engagement on campus, and help them persist toward graduation by ensuring you capitalize on their strengths and support their academic and personal goals.
As a result of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Identify high-impact practices for all student veterans — understand why they are so important and how to engage your student veterans and military-affiliated students so they can increase their personal success and the pursuit of their educational goals.
- Discover the key barriers to participation in high-impact practices for nontraditional learners and military-affiliated students — overcome the challenges they face to ensure you are building successful and effective high-impact practices from the ground up.
- Achieve buy-in campus-wide to shift from a “veteran-friendly” to a “veteran-inclusive” community through intentional high-impact practices — establish an inclusive atmosphere that successfully transitions veterans to your campus, enables them to adapt to the academic environment, engage in the campus community and persist through to graduation.
- Foster an understanding and appreciation of the unique challenges faced by military-affiliated students – meet their academic, social and career goals by developing comprehensive and intentional high-impact practices.
Joanna DeMott is currently the Military Liaison and Program Coordinator at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington (UNCW) in the Office of Military Affairs.
Click here for full bio.
Melanie Nelson currently serves as a Military Student Services Specialist at the university of North Carolina at Wilmington (UNCW) in the Office of Military Affairs. She began her professional career as a Surface Warfare Officer in the United States Navy.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email email@example.com.
for participation in
a PaperClip Communications webinar held on