Remove Disparities and Increase Employment Accessibility for Marginalized Students
One of the most important decisions you make is who you choose to join your team, including those students you choose to represent your office or department. Without intentionality, recruitment processes may allow for bias to infiltrate and could lead to barriers in developing and maintaining a diverse student candidate pool.
Take a closer look at your current student staff hiring practices, so you can remove disparities, foster better relationships with marginalized students and remove the common barriers that prevent some students from seeking employment or internship opportunities they need to succeed.
Join our presenter to explore strategies and tools to enhance your student staff recruitment process, ways to cultivate a diverse candidate pool, and how to safeguard the integrity of the interview process from beginning to end.
Avoid missteps in the recruitment process that could lead to increased moments of bias and exclusion. Ensure equitable and inclusive search and onboarding processes to increase student staff retention, satisfaction, sense of belonging, and productivity to allow them to feel like valuable members of your team.
As a result of this online training, participants will be able to:
- Adapt current organizational student staff hiring procedures and onboarding processes to be more inclusive – remove disparities so you can foster better relationships with marginalized students and help them overcome the common barriers that prevent them from seeking employment or internship opportunities they need to succeed.
- Create intentional recruitment processes – limit any bias that may infiltrate the process and lead to barriers in developing and maintaining a diverse student candidate pool.
- Explore strategies and tools to enhance your student staff recruitment process – avoid common recruitment missteps that could lead to increased moments of bias and exclusion.
- Develop hiring teams, create behavior-based interview questions and establish an intentional communication plan to attract diverse students – safeguard the integrity of the interview process from beginning to end.
- Establish just and inclusive search and onboarding processes that incorporate diversity, equity and inclusion – increase student staff retention, satisfaction, sense of belonging, and productivity allowing students to feel like valuable members of your team.
- Stand behind your statements – demonstrate your commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and access in every aspect of your department – beginning with how you recruit and hire students.
Naomi Sigg is the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at John Carroll University and plays a major role in the development of DEI and campus climate initiatives on campus. In her role, she oversees the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion which includes the Center for Student Diversity and Inclusion, Title IX, and the Student Accessibility Services. Naomi is a certified Green Dot Facilitator, Sustained Dialogue Moderator, and holds a Certificate in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Workplace.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email firstname.lastname@example.org.