Wednesday, November 15, 2023
2:00 – 3:30 pm ET
Understand Scope & Provisions to Avoid Mistakes, Non-Compliance & Legal Complaints
Although colleges have been subject to FERPA for almost 50 years, and although few if any statutes have such wide-reaching, everyday application on our campuses, most of us still don't know much about it.
Everyone on campus who deals with any kind of student records — whether academic or not, formal or informal, permanent or temporary, paper or electronic, centrally or locally stored, and even including email — should have an understanding of FERPA. Making assumptions about its scope and provisions can lead to mistakes, non-compliance, and legal complaints.
Join us on November 15, 2023 when FERPA expert – Steve McDonald – will present a thorough, plain-English outline of the most important FERPA concepts and requirements. Gain a solid grounding in FERPA’s most important requirements and exceptions, as well as practical steps and solutions for dealing with common FERPA issues.
Gain crucial, actionable takeaways that will help you:
- Recognize what is and what isn’t subject to FERPA – train everyone on campus who deals with any kind of student records properly and alleviate a FERPA violation.
- Apply key disclosure exceptions – know when and how to disclose to avoid compliance problems.
- Identify and understand FERPA’s “forgotten” parts – students’ rights to “inspect and review” and “seek amendment of” the records that pertain to them.
- Incorporate new ideas and practical steps to adapt and enhance your campus FERPA compliance – comprehend current FERPA compliance standards and learn about impending developments to adapt on your campus.
Steven J. McDonald is the recently retired General Counsel at Rhode Island School of Design and previously served as Associate Legal Counsel at The Ohio State University.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Register
Invite your entire team for one low price!
- Live 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand (available 24-48 hours after live event)
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for live webinar access for your group are provided to you immediately upon checkout. Instructions for accessing the on-demand recording will be emailed to you 24 hours following the live webinar. Feel free to contact us at email@example.com or 1-866-295-0505 with any questions. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PaperClip Communications welcomes persons with disabilities to join our webinars. If you anticipate needing an accommodation or have questions about the online access provided, please email email@example.com at least two weeks in advance of your participation.
for participation in
a PaperClip Communications webinar held on