Colleagues, Case Studies and Conversation
Bias and microaggressions may cause a disconnection between staff and faculty, colleagues and peers, as they can create misunderstandings, conflict, and emotional strain within relationships and interactions. This can be frustrating and demoralizing, and can result in friction within your department, division – or with other offices across campus.
Our expert presenter – Farzana Nayani, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Consultant, Author & Coach – leads participants through a series of activities to help you unpack biases that you may have, provide vivid examples of how this appears at higher education institutions, and examine case studies to help you unpack concepts and apply strategies for change. Engage in conversations and reflective practices to build confidence with addressing biases and microaggressions in real time.
You’ll have an opportunity to explore real-life examples that will help you develop personalized strategies that will work for you and your workplace environment and gain question prompts to foster dialogue among colleagues at your institution.
Gain crucial, actionable takeaways that will help you:
- Gain a deeper understanding of unconscious bias and microaggressions – recognizing how our identities play a role in our biases and acknowledging your own biases within your thoughts and interactions with others.
- Define and recognize microaggressions in order to interrupt them – build capacity and an empowered approach to disrupt microaggressions and unconscious bias.
- Develop a greater awareness of where we attain bias and how society reinforces biases we have – foster curiosity about why biases are present (on an individual and systemic level).
- Implement strategies to foster an inclusive environment encouraging equity and belonging – identify and engage in meaningful conversations and reflection regarding nuanced situations of microaggressions and bias in the workplace.
- Recognize the intent vs. impact in any interaction.
Farzana Nayani is a recognized Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion specialist, executive coach, and keynote speaker. She has worked with higher education institutions, Fortune 500 corporations, public agencies, school districts, and non-profit organizations as a consultant and trainer on diversity, equity and inclusion, intercultural communication, and inclusive leadership.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email email@example.com.