Foster an Inclusive Environment to Support Unique Needs
Although the number of autistic students attending college continues to increase, statistically students with autism are still less likely to graduate than their neurotypical peers. Institutions are uniquely positioned to provide critical support through an intentional peer mentor program, universally designed resources, and considerations inside and outside of the classroom that can help successfully engage these students.
In just 90 minutes, you and your staff will be able to increase the success of this student group by building a specific peer support program. You’ll not only understand the benefits of peer support for this population, but also be able to recruit, train, and support mentors who can meet their mentees’ unique academic and social needs.
Anyone on your campus who interacts with autistic students will benefit from this training. Our expert presenter will discuss effective strategies to support your students with autism in and out of the classroom, ensure they are actively supported through mentorship programs, and provide ways to effectively build relationships to ensure their success and persistence.
Gain specific and actionable takeaways so you can:
- Create a peer support/mentor program for autistic students – foster an inclusive environment that is supportive of each student's unique learning needs.
- Develop strategies for recruiting and training mentors to identify skills gaps that impact readiness and retention for students with autism spectrum disorders – help autistic students find connection and support through mentoring, increase student wellbeing, and help autistic students develop the skills necessary for college and career success.
- Understand what mentoring can look like and why it is so important to the success of students with autism – help students with autism gain points of connection and belonging, de-stigmatize help-seeking behaviors, and effectively build relationships to ensure their success and persistence.
- Utilize proven mentoring initiatives to impact your peer mentoring program – increase student retention, academic success, and student engagement across diverse student populations with a coordinated and campus-wide effort. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel!
- Explore the numerous benefits of peer mentorship programs and all the different options for creating impactful programs – expand your scope to reduce barriers for autistic students seeking help so they achieve their goals, transform their lives, and thrive.
Dr. Laurie Ackles currently serves as the Director for the Spectrum Support Program (SSP) at Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, NY and manages RIT’s Neurodiverse Hiring Initiative.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email firstname.lastname@example.org.