Overcome Stereotypes, Move Beyond “Veteran Friendly” and Engage them as Students and Alumni
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs reported that in 2018, 669,922 Veterans used VA education and vocational rehabilitation benefits to further their education. You have an opportunity to move beyond “Veteran friendly” rhetoric to truly providing an academic experience for Veterans and military-connected students that meets their unique needs and supports their completion goals.
Our expert presenter shares systematic initiatives and intentional partnerships you can utilize to incorporate Veterans and military-connected students into your institution’s fabric through admission, academics, student organizations and co-curricular activities that embrace the military culture.
Empirical data will be shared, as well as information surrounding a partnership program with the D-Aniello Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF) that has helped move Syracuse University beyond talking the talk to walking the talk. They are meeting the unique academic, social and career goals of their veterans and military-affiliated students – and so can you.
Foster an understanding and appreciation of the unique challenges faced by Veterans and military-connected students and use them as a catalyst for positive change on your campus, so you can establish effective working relationships that produce successful academic, career development and employment outcomes.
As a result of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Create innovative programs and support services that will attract Veterans and military-connected students to your campus – establish an inclusive atmosphere that successfully transitions veterans to your campus, enables them to adapt to the academic environment, engage in the campus community, persist through to graduation, and continue to support the institution as alumni.
- Build successful strategies and campus wide partnerships - especially with former Veterans working on campus - to offer advising, counseling, tutoring and career education for veterans – help your military-connected and Veteran students overcome a sense of isolation by establishing effective working relationships that produce successful academic, career development and employment outcomes.
- Equip those front-line faculty and staff members who interface with Veteran students regularly with the proper training they need to understand and embrace the military culture– ensure tailored, culturally competent academic advising, career services and campus counseling to support military-connected students without perpetuating stigmas or stereotypes.
- Identify effective methods to meet the unique academic, social and career goals of your student Veteran population – foster a collaborative approach to service this growing population to ensure they succeed as students and as professionals in the work force.
- Capitalize on military connected and Veterans’ contributions to your campus – build an affinity and loyalty to your campus and uphold the mission and values of your institution.
Rosalinda Vasquez Maury currently serves as the Director of Applied Research and Analytics at the D’Aniello Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF) at Syracuse University.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email email@example.com.
for participation in
a PaperClip Communications webinar held on