With an increased call for accountability and informed decision-making, student affairs professionals are being called upon to assess everything, from student learning outcomes to individual programs, activities and services. Assessment is a necessity to help us work smarter while best meeting campus community needs. Yet, many professionals have been searching for a resource that helps them conduct effective, efficient assessment — until now.
That's why we've developed Successful Assessment for Student Affairs: A How-to Guide. This 140+ page binder takes you through the assessment cycle, from developing your initial purpose to putting assessment data to use, in a user-friendly, interactive manner.
Inside you'll find worksheets, how-to pieces, handouts, checklists and more to help you plan and implement a successful assessment process. Successful Assessment for Student Affairs includes the following pieces:
- Where do I start? – Developing a purpose and conceptual framework for the scope of your assessment project
- Strategies to consider – The role of CAS Standards and others
- Finding your resources on campus – Discovering the untapped wells of data already collected on your campus
- Ethical and political considerations – IRB, proper use of data, maintaining confidentiality
- Developing learning outcomes related to your purpose – Formulas to use, practice writing
- How to gather data – Choosing the best method to serve your purpose, qualitative vs. quantitative, etc.
- Using focus groups, surveys and rubrics – With practice activities
- Survey design – And addressing survey fatigue
- Analyzing and interpreting your data – Tips and activities to show you how
- How to code qualitative data – Strategies to share
- Sharing and using collected data – Determining your audience and their informational needs
- Closing the loop – Strategies for planning continual assessment
You'll also find information on these important assessment topics:
- Creating a culture of assessment on your campus
- Where to find campus data
- Staffing, time and other practical considerations
- Working with an assessment team
Hands-on Assessment Tools! This binder provides hands-on, interactive tools to help you and your team conduct effective, efficient assessment projects. They include:
- How-to guides
- Case studies
- And much more!
Assessment Expertise: We're very pleased to have worked on this resource with assessment expert Dr. Kimberly Yousey-Elsener, currently the Director of Student Affairs Assessment and Solutions for Engagement (SAASE) at Binghamton University and Past-chair of ACPA's Commission for Assessment.
Plus, your purchase also includes a site license to share with your staff and campus community!
Two Versions to Choose From
Printed with Digital Download – includes a printed copy of this resource as well as digital access to the enclosed materials and accompanying license to share with your campus community. Price includes $9 shipping fee.
- Digital Download Only – includes digital access to this resource and accompanying license to share with your campus community.
Upon purchase, the instructions for downloading this resource will be immediately available. For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
for participation in
a PaperClip Communications webinar held on