Recognizing & Responding to Students in Distress
Create a campus environment that engages key campus stakeholders and fosters a collaborative and supportive environment for students in or at risk of experiencing a crisis. Ensure critical training is in place to increase the effectiveness of faculty, student affairs professionals, coaches, and others to recognize common crisis reaction clues and warning signs, effective de-escalation techniques, and protocols to refer appropriately.
Gather your colleagues from across campus as the Director of the University of Florida Crisis and Emergency Resource Center discusses the evolving mental health profile of today’s students, the physiological reactions to crises and implications for crisis intervention, and how it correlates to their academic and social success at your institution.
As a result of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Provide the necessary training and tools to faculty, staff, coaches and students to recognize an individual in crisis and de-escalation techniques.
- Recognize crises reactions clues and warning signs, the three levels of distress and their impact on students’ physical and cognitive abilities.
- Create a campus environment that can identify and assist individuals in crisis. Increase the proficiency & confidence level of staff to intervene, assist & support students.
- Implement clear communication policies and protocols to manage and report a student of concern.
- Engage key campus and community stakeholders and increase awareness to foster a collaborative and supportive environment to assist students in crisis or at risk.
Dr. Meggen Tucker Sixbey is Clinical Associate Professor and Associate Director of the University of Florida’s (UF) Counseling and Wellness Center. Having completed the Gavin DeBecker Threat Assessment Academy, she is one of 12 mental health members on a federal team through the Bureau of Justice administration assisting in policy and procured development regarding police-mental health collaboration.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email email@example.com.
for participation in
a PaperClip Communications webinar held on