Overcome Frustration of Limited Data to Broaden Your Assessment Toolbox
“If you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail”. This quote, while attributed to many people, sums up one of the largest challenges in assessment. Survey and rubrics are often the hammer in the assessment world and so they are the go-to solution to answer most assessment questions. As campuses better utilize technology that gathers/stores data and students are engaging in social media and other platforms, more creative ways of collecting assessment data provide an opportunity for gathering more diverse perspectives.
Our expert presenter – Dr. Kimberly Yousey-Elsener, Research Associate Professor at Binghamton University – explores how to broaden your assessment toolbox through data collection that goes beyond surveys and rubrics using existing data sources. Using existing data helps to diversify what data sources you are using, the types of data you collect and the perspectives you gain. This session provides a foundation in identifying existing data sources, understanding their strengths and limitations and the basics on how to get started with analyzing and using the data.
Gain crucial, actionable takeaways that will help you:
- Identify sources of existing data related to your assessment topics or goals.
- Define equity-minded assessment and data triangulation.
- Understand the opportunities and limitations of using existing data – move beyond to expand your reach and results.
- Develop an understanding of using data from technology systems.
- Describe the steps in analyzing data from documents.
- List sources of visual data and steps needed to use for assessment projects.
Kimberly Yousey-Elsener is a Research Associate Professor for the Student Affairs Administration Program at Binghamton University.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email email@example.com.
for participation in
a PaperClip Communications webinar held on