At the University of Southern California (USC), the Provost’s Office has recognized that “the opportunities for distraction are endless” as campus community members are caught up in a constant swirl of activities, information and relationships. So, they’ve turned to mindfulness practices as a way to reduce people’s stress, enhance happiness and increase attentiveness. Mindful USC has “a mission to empower the USC community to make positive change in the world by building a culture of mindfulness and compassion. It offers ongoing training, practice groups and special events throughout USC.”
Mindful USC classes are offered online to students, staff, faculty and alumni. Classes include…
- Mindfulness Lab. “This online class is an introduction to creating and incorporating an effective and ongoing mindfulness practice in all aspects of your life.”
- Mindfulness Lab II. “We will explore the benefits of a growing meditation practice as well as common obstacles that come up in meditation, how to gain concentration in meditation, and different meditation techniques.”
- Mindful Self-Compassion. “You will learn over 25 simple ways that will enable you to call on your own inner resources to soothe yourself in times of stress or pain.”
- Mindful (and Heartful!) Parenting. “We will be exploring mindfulness, compassion, and self-compassion practices (along with some tried-and-true parenting guides, your own inner resources, and the shared wisdom of the group) to help you stay present, kind, and connected while parenting, even under challenging circumstances. “
- Mindful Creativity. “The focus of the class is to open the channels of creativity through mindfulness and meditation, while learning to overcome self-judgment, and develop skills to use in practice.”
- Mindful Writing. “…this group will explore the nuance of writing from the deeply connected space of mindfulness and self-compassion.”
More information is available here.
And for more coping skills and resources like this one, check out our BRAND NEW How to Help Students Gain Effective Coping Skills Training Package focused on self-advocacy, agency and resilience.