Navigate Gendered Language with Confidence to Respect and Support the Safety and Dignity of All Members of Your Community
Institutions are increasingly being called upon to create policies and practices that incorporate gender-neutral terms to ensure they are cultivating spaces that are truly inclusive and remove some of the unconscious stereotyping that may exist. This can be confusing and many worry about unintentionally offending due to lack of knowledge. Understanding the importance of pronouns and how to use them properly directly impacts the safety and dignity of Transgender and Genderqueer students, staff, and faculty and is critical in creating a sense of belonging for all.
Does your campus respect the gender identities of its Transgender and Genderqueer members by consistently using the name and pronouns they use for themselves?
Language matters! Incorporating inclusive language can affect how your institution recruits, admits and retains transgender and non-conforming members to its community. Avoid frustration and marginalization of your community members by ensuring inclusive language is used in institutional policies and practices to combat traditional identity language.
Our expert presenter will help participants navigate the questions that come with gendered language. You’ll explore the importance of pronouns, engage in learning and growth in a way that respects your own dignity as well as the dignity of others, and strategies to enable community members to indicate their pronouns safely and with respect.
As a result of this online training, you will be able to:
- Implement strategies to address and train faculty and staff to avoid situations where they misgender or misname a student, marginalizing them even further.
- Create institutional policies inclusive of gender identity, sexual orientation, names, and pronouns – create a culture where chosen names and pronouns are used.
- Develop policies and practices that allow for name changes and updates to gender markers.
- Gain confidence with what to do when gendered information isn’t implied or known – recognize the importance of how and why asking pronouns is so vital to changing your campus culture.
- Provide opportunities to understand the different pronouns most used today for self-identification – navigate gendered language with confidence and respect to avoid frustration and foster the safety and dignity of your entire community.
Beit Gorski (xe/xem/xyrs) currently serves as a Senior Staff Therapist, licensed professional counselor for Colorado State University Health Network.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email email@example.com.
for participation in
a PaperClip Communications webinar held on