Recruit, Retain & Enroll for Success
As institutions across the country encounter current and expected enrollment challenges, a unique opportunity to provide increased and targeted support for special populations of potential students arises. Campuses that provide targeted support strategies for students who have experienced foster care create mutually beneficial outcomes for both parties. Institutions are poised to contribute to the current and growing literature about how to best support a population of students who have historically been underrepresented within the higher education landscape.
Supporting students from foster care requires a unique understanding of the potential experience gaps and lack of privilege that these students may have as they enter college. Gain an inside look into how these life experiences create opportunities for campuses to support these students like never before and prepare them for life beyond the foster care system in ways that were previously largely unattainable.
Recruiting, retaining and graduating students who have experienced foster care requires that institutions implement thoughtful and proactive strategies and supports that are tailored to fit the needs and experiences of the students that they serve, instilling hope and building skills for success in students both during and after college.
- Develop partnerships across your campus, county and state – learn how to work with your local and state partners in the Department of Health and Human Services to locate and secure grant funding to support a campus-based program.
- Build connections with other institutions within your state to build opportunities for students who have experienced foster care.
- Understand the key components of a successful campus support program – increase recruitment, retention and graduation rates of students who have experienced foster care, thereby increasing overall RRG rates of all students.
- Understand higher education related statistics of students who have experienced foster care – learn about a variety of training and educational resources available to increase knowledge and awareness of challenges experienced by students experiencing foster care so you can best support and retain them.
- Identify the beginning steps in undertaking a needs assessment on campuses for this type of student support – allocate human and fiscal resources effectively for the greatest impact.
Kayla Bueby, MSW, LMSW-Clinical, currently serves as the Assistant Director of Counseling and Psychological Services at University of Michigan-Flint.
Click here for full bio.
Included When You Purchase
- 90-minute online session with carefully selected expert(s)
- Unlimited access to view webinar recording on demand
- Materials for your team (handouts, discussion questions, etc.)
- Certificate of completion for each participant
- Weekly newsletter – What's Working on Campus
Instructions for access are available immediately upon checkout. You may share this On-Demand Training with any staff members from your campus community for unlimited viewing. For information about licensing this webinar for unlimited distribution on your institution’s internal network/server, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
for participation in
a PaperClip Communications webinar held on